Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sydney, Australia - Day 1 and 2

I arrived in Sydney and was immediately slapped in the face with intense humidity and heat!  It is wonderful and much nicer than the Canadian winter.  I got a shuttle from the airport to Kanga hostel just outside downtown Sydney.  I set my stuff up in my very cozy room (a 10 bed dorm) and decided to start adventuring around the city.



The Sydney skyline over Wollooloo Bay


Some authentic Australian graffiti 
These huge spiders are everywhere!!  So I fed her a pill bug, I think she enjoyed it.

Found a baby skink.  Lizards everywhere!!

 Moon Bridge in Cooper Park.  There are these huge parks all over the city.  Massive jungles everywhere.
 This poor stick bug was dangling from a spiders web and all of his feet were tangled and he couldn't move!  So I helped him out and got some wicked photos!
There are also a lot of fountains all throughout Sydney.  This one was built by a French sculpture after the first World War.

So after exploring the city I was ready for some dinner :)  The hostel supplies the tenants (theres a total of about 130 people living in this one hostel) with all the cook ware you'll need but you are responsible for all food and cooking supplies.  So I needed some help. Flora, a very nice French girl who has been living in Australia for a year working a variety of jobs, toured me around the area and the local (cheapest) grocery store. I bought a can of mixed beans, some bulk chopped bacon, pasta noodles and pasta sauce - total price$5.32.  I live off bacon and bean pasta for three days - it wasn't that great.  Breakfast is supplied by the hostel and consisted of toast and jam, and cereal.

After dinner I hung out in my room (which means on my bed) and met two guys from Sweden, Nic and Henry.  They had just arrived from a Melbourne where they were working on a sheep farm that had 12 000 sheep!  They were looking for work in Sydney but were having trouble finding anything due to the abundance of travelers pushed south by the flood.

The second day started with more explorations - I walked everywhere in Sydney, didn't take public transit once. I feel its best to get to know a city by walking it yourself. The first thing I wanted to do once I got to Australia was hit up the beach! So I pulled out my GPS - a wonderful and very impressive toy - and mapped my way to Bondi Beach, Sydneys most popular. It took me just over an hour to get there and it was cloudy all day and I still got burnt!
  I walked back to the hostel and the two Swedish guys invited me to join them for a foam party a club!  It was great! A huge pit in the middle of the dance floor and a huge gun shooting out a continuous flow of bubbles and foam!  You couldn't see in front of you because you were entirely covered in white fluff! Definitely a good first night out down under :)

My first days were great and it would only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment